Thursday, June 21, 2012

What It Is All About

I recently moved to Colorado for an administrative internship with Poudre Valley Health System's medical group (now called Colorado Health Medical Group). I was really looking forward to exploring the rockies and seeing the beauty of this state, but uncontrollable forest fires have plagued this area so far this summer. Currently, the High Park fire has consumed 68,000 acres (275 square km) and destroyed 191 homes. 
A glimpse of the blood red sun 

Hundreds have been evacuated and are staying at a Red Cross shelter near the the local fairgrounds. Dr. Lee Goacher approached me with an idea that came from Rulon Stacey, the system CEO, to provide volunteer physicians and nurses for fire evacuees and volunteers. I jumped at the opportunity. Within 48 hours, we set up a fully-stocked, volunteer-driven mobile health clinic at the evacuation center. Dr. Goacher acting as lead physician coordinator and myself as lead operations manager.

Me with the RV Clinic donated by the Health District.
This is one of the most remarkable projects that I have ever been able to be a part of, and it is a perfect fit to open up this blog. Why? Because this is healthcare at its finest: well-trained physicians, nurses, and EMT's all working together to provide care to the needy. Everyone is volunteering in four-hour shifts. My inbox is full of emails from medical and administrative personnel seeking volunteer opportunities. We are not fussing over insurance, out-of-network providers, payment, competition, or billing issues. Normally, I just go there to help get the medical staff oriented on the supply cupboards and charting, but I stayed a few extra hours today as I interacted with the patients. I loved every minute of it. This is what healthcare is really all about.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, that's way cool. Too bad the emergency / volunteer model is not a sustainable one. I'm sure everyone involved loved the lack of red tape and the chance to just be seen by doc / just see patients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree. We had a one page sheet with basic information on it and It was awesome to see the doctors and the nurses say "This is all we have to fill out? Then what do we do?"
      "Umm... just take care of the patient after that"
      "WOW! Ok!"
      We ended up seeing about 55 patients (some more than once) for the week. They were all really grateful for the availability of the service.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete